Google May 2020 Core Update
Google rolls out several updates to improve its search results, which means it impacts rankings and performance of your website. With numerous and continuous algorithm updates, Google loves being creative with their naming convention, with the most recent update being called the ‘May 2020 Core Update’.
Based on SEMrush sensor data, we’ve seen that the SERP volatility on the 6th May 2020 was very high, which has impacted various industries such as health, finance, dating and tech industry.
How do you work out if your website has been impacted by Google update?
In this day and age of complex data, here at Infinity Nation, we work on making things simpler and sensible for you. So, to help you make sense of your data and to see if you have been impacted by the most recent Google May 2020 core update, here are our top tips:
- Check your Google Analytics to see if there was a drop in organic traffic within the date range 04/05/2020 – 22/05/2020
- Review other traffic sources. Was there a drop in Bing & Yahoo organic traffic too? If the answer to that is yes, then you might want to investigate the reason why your site’s performance dropped as its most likely that it might not be Google update impacting on your site.
- Review your top-performing organic landing pages to see if they’ve dipped in performance.
- Review to see if the whole site has dipped in performance organically. Usually, during the core updates, the whole site’s performance is impacted rather than certain sections.
- Review your keywords ranking. Have the keywords ranking dropped drastically sitewide? Please note that it is usual to see a fluctuation in keywords ranking within a few positions.
What can you do if your website has been hit by this update?
In simple terms, conduct a website audit ensuring you ask questions in the following areas:
- Quality of the content – Does the page have optimised meta title and meta description matching the user’s search intent? Does your on-page content provide original, valuable information to the user?
- Display expertise – Does the on-page content provide reliable and trustworthy information? Does the website display authoritativeness and trust signals? Does the content on your website offer added value compared to other players in the market? Does the content match the user’s intent?
- Optimise for SERP features – Would you like to add additional value to your search results and attract more users to your website? Do you want to increase your Click-Through Rate (CTR)? If your answer is yes, then highly consider adding structured data to your products and the website to enable rich snippets in your search results.
With ever-growing, constant algorithm changes that Google makes, the competitiveness to get that position 1 ranking seems to get tougher than ever. However, here at Infinity Nation, we monitor these algorithm updates religiously, whether big or small. We tailor the strategy to maximise the impact of the site’s performance.
If you are interested in working with Infinity Nation and to discover how we can help you grow your brand, please do get in touch and we would be happy to meet you. Alternatively, contact us via our contact form or request a free 30 minute consultation.
DO YOU WANT TO PUSH YOUR DIGITAL GROWTH STRATEGY FORWARD? LET’S CHAT.
Interested in working with INFINITY NATION to create a successful digital experience for your company or product?
Get in touch to set up a meeting with our team.